Fluctuation between 64% and 100% GPU usage?

edited January 2014 in Hardware support

Hey guys,

I've been mining with my XFX R9 280X for a while along with my other rigs with no problems. Now all off a sudden the GPU usage is jumping up and down making me get only an average of 660 Kh/s instead of the usual 700+ average.

I've been googling and people have seemed to fix it with powertune of 20+. Nada for me.

CGMiner 3.7.2
GPU clock 1040 and Memclock 1500

Here's my config:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
del *.bin
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ftc.give-me-coins.com:3336 -u daddymoe.1 -p x -I 13 -g 2 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 8192

Any ideas would be helpful!

P.S. It starts to jump after about 2 minutes of 100% load

Comments

• No issue with power supply?

• What's your temp's at?  I had an issue with this when the GPU would reach the temp threshold and throttle down, cool off for a couple seconds, throttle back up, heat up, throttle down, repeat.  The GPU usage and clock speeds were bouncing all over the place.

• Any problems with your network connection? I've seen my GPUs dropping usage % when they have a flakey connection to the stratum and aren't receiving work as quickly as they are processing it. If it's not that I'd agree it's probably temp or power supply related. Hard to say without more details of your setup. 

• this is typical for overheating of the VRM, which is an issue on these cards (I have 6), u need to bring down the voltage to 1.05 volt and this will solve the issue.

u can add also a fan to the side of the card, but option one is the better solution.
  • @madnod - do you know if this same issue would affect an R9 270X? 

• my R9 270X are gigabyte and asus and they are not facing this issue.

the issue with XFX DD fan design is that even thought the cooling for the GPU is great they let down other components like memory and VRMs.

try to find a site where they take the card apart while reviewing it so u can asses if the VRMs are cooled enough.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. My temps are fine and my internet connection is great. The card is running at roughly 80 degrees Celsius. Power supply is more than enough (Corsair VS650)

My Voltage is at 1087mV.